Usually when making a staple like muffins, I'll just go to the Joy of Cooking (or the 1975 Edition) and follow the recipe there. But for the first time ever, after dozens and dozens of successful recipes, the Joy of Cooking let me down a bit. The muffins were only okay. So, we tweaked the recipe - a bit more leavening agent, a bit more sugar, and some raw sugar sprinkled on the tops, and the modified muffins came out much better. We've also had a head-to-head competition in the kitchen between these muffins and ready made mixes (just add water and fresh blueberries), and these muffins were the winner.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar in the raw
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Sift dry ingredients together (flour, salt, sugar, baking powder).
- Beat eggs. Add milk & melted butter to the eggs.
- Combine the liquid and dry ingredients with a few swift strokes. Before completely mixed, add blueberries, and stir until just blended. DO NOT overstir or the gluten will make the muffins tough.
- Put liners in muffin pan. Fill liners 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with sugar in the raw - enough to nearly cover the muffin top.
- Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes.
|Nutrition Information||Total||Per Serving
|Calories||1665 cal||--||83 cal||--|
|Total Fat||55 g||84%||3 g||4%|
|Saturated Fat||33 g||165%||2 g||8%|
|Monounsaturated Fat||14 g||--||1 g||--|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3 g||--||0 g||--|
|Trans Fat||0 g||--||0 g||--|
|Cholesterol||140 mg||47%||7 mg||2%|
|Sodium||3320 mg||138%||166 mg||7%|
|Potassium||624 mg||18%||31 mg||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate||267 g||89%||13 g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber||38 g||--||0 g||--|
|Sugars||93 g||--||5 g||--|
|Protein||30 g||60%||2 g||3%|
Note: Nutrition Info as calculated by MyFitnessPal.com