Between my wife, here sisters, sisters in law, and mother, they each have their own slightly different way of making rice, so there's definitely no single recipe for Mexican style rice. This is the way my wife makes it. Whenever there's a pot luck dinner, she usually gets requests to take a pot of this rice.
- Put 1/4 cup oil in pan until hot
- Add 2 cups white rice and fry, stirring rice around until light brown
- Add 1/4 small onion chopped, 1 can 8oz tomato sauce, and stir
- Add 4 cups chicken broth or water (if you made enchiladas, you can get the broth from that)
- Add 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir.
- Let rice come to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20-30 min